A gerund is a special noun. It is a verb that has been transformed into a noun by adding the “-ing” suffix.
Using gerunds in a sentence:
(a) as a Subject
- Swimming is my favourite past time.
- I find that reading and writing are difficult language skills to master.
(b) as a Complement
- My favourite past time is swimming.
- The most difficult skills to learn are reading and writing.
(c) as an Object
- Mary loves drinking hot chocolate with her boyfriend.
- My students dislike watching romantic movies.
(d) with articles and adjectives
- The (art.) actual (adj.) making of the movie will be shown on TV.
- The (art.) strange (adj.) writing on the wall is a mystery.
So, a gerund is a verbot that deceptively transforms into a nounbot to confuse our fellow humans. If you haven’t been watching “Transformers“, you obviously wouldn’t understand. 😀